Sunday, July 6, 2014

Solar Dyeing Experiment July 5-6, 2014

I researched dyeing with Wilton dyes, solar dyeing, and dying roving prior to trying this. I found useful information on www.dharmatrading.com www.dyeyouryarn.com and http://prettyimpressivestuff.com/blog/2005/07/dyeing-wool-with-wilton.html

I also found the Facebook group Not Afraid to Dye and other sites very helpful.  As I researched the topic, I took notes! Now it's time for hands on experimentation!


July 5, 2014
  1. Weighed out two bowls of fiber (wool from Kraemer's) - 2 oz each
  2. Braided each piece of fiber
  3. 8 cups water and 1 tsp citric acid in each bowl
  4. Began soak at 10:00 PM July 5, 2014



July 6, 2014

  1. 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp each Wilton Gel food coloring Brown and Copper; 1 tsp citric acid and fill container with hot water (heat to a simmer).  This batch I put the dye and acid in the container before the hot water. I did not shake up enough and hat clumps of dye in the bath I had to smush with gloved hands to disolve. 
  2. Pour remaining hot water in bucket. Pour water used to soak fiber overnight in bucket and gently put fiber in bucket. Pour dye mixture over fiber. Close lid on bucket. Place in sun.
For the second bucket I used the same process as above, except:
  1. I used No Taste Red and Pink dyes (same measurements as above)
  2. I poured hot water into the container prior to the dye and acid.
  3. I shook the container longer.
  4. Result: dye dissolved in the water





By 8:38 AM, both dye baths were in the sun...

At 4:00 PM the dye had completely exhausted for the brown/copper roving. The water in the red/pink bucket still had a little dye in it. I will leave that outside through tomorrow morning and check it again.  I took the lid of the brown/copper and let it cool down. Then washed with Method dish detergent. Rinsed well and soaked a few minutes in Eucalan wool wash. I gently squeazed out the excess water and draped over the bucket to dry overnight. Here is the results....


The photo does not do it justice. The depth of color is amazing!

Took a better photo today, July 7, 2014


I left the red to exhaust more today. I was very busy and didn't get to check it. Tomorrow after work I will cool and wash the fiber.

Explore your creativity!

Nancy





No comments:

Post a Comment