Monday, July 7, 2014

Another Solar Dyeing Experiment!

Today, July 7, 2014, I soaked 2 oz of alpaca with 12 cups water and 1 tsp citric acid in a bucket to soak in the back yard for a few hours (8:30 AM).


I noticed 2 oz of Alpaca fiber seemed to have more yardage then 2 oz of wool I dyed yesterday. That is why I needed 12 cups of water v/s 8 cups of water for the wool.

At 1:00 PM, I mixed 1 1/2 tsp of citric acid, 1/4 tsp Wilton Sky Blue (mom's old dye) and 1/2 tsp Lemon Yellow with water I heated in a kettle to a simmer. I added the left over kettle water and dye to the bucket. 




It is a lot greener than I expected. I thought it would be more of a yellow green, but the sky blue was a bit stronger of a color than I thought it would be.  That may be because it is older gel.

I was busy today, so I didn't check to see how it was doing. I will check after work tomorrow. So, more tomorrow! I have to cool and was the red/pink wool from yesterday and this green. After work tomorrow I will finish this experiment! Very pleased with the results so far.

I'm very excited. The Dharma Acid Dyes I ordered were delivered this afternoon! Sooooo.... next weekend I may get out the canning jars and do a sample of each of the colors I ordered!! Hopefully the sun will cooperate and we will have at least one nice day for dyeing.

Enjoy!
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment