Monday, February 17, 2014

Hand Spun Scarf

One of the other fiber arts I enjoy is spinning. I use a bottom whorl drop spindle. This is my tool of choice because they can be made so easily and cheaply.  All you need is something round, a CD, wooden wheel from the craft store, a gemstone donut, or guitar sound hole cut out. Then stick a dowel  in the center whole using a grommet or epoxy to secure it. Then either insert a hook in the top of the dowel or make a notch at the top. For a couple of dollars and a little time you have a spindle. 

The yarn I used for this scarf was my fist attempt at spinning. Some is chunky, over/under spun, plied and singles. I am slowly getting better at this, but still working on consistency and thickness. 




The wool (pictured above) was then used in an experiment with dyeing.  I soaked it in water and vinegar, added some McCormick liquid food coloring and micro waved. 



I think I microwaved it a bit too long or handled it too much afterwards because it slightly felted, but was was still useable. 

I combined this wool with some alpaca I also spun to crochet a scarf.  The scarf is done in triple crochet using a J hook.


It is a very warm scarf! 

Happy crafting!
Nancy





1 comment:

  1. It would make sense that the heat would felt it somewhat; but still so very cool!

    ReplyDelete