Monday, February 2, 2015

Spinning the Pain Away

The weekend we were to get "snowmaggedon" was not pleasant for me. I start with tooth pain on the Thursday prior due to a broken tooth. By Friday, a migraine was beginning on top of that. By Friday night I was in pain. I tried to crochet (simple pattern), but I think it caused my brain to work too much and didn't help with the pain. UGH! I woke up Saturday still in pain. I decided to get my spinning wheel out. I had not spun anything since November. I began with a braid of 100% Shetland wool called Homely that I purchased from Bittersweet Woolery at the NJ Sheep and Wool Festival.



It spun beautifully. Until now I had only spun Alpaca and Romney. I am trying different fibers and techniques.  I decided to ply this.


71 yds of Sport Weight. It is gorgeous. I wish I had more of this fiber.

Then I spun a Merino wool/Tussah Silk blend called Tahiti from Loop. I purchased this fiber at Vogue Knitting Live NYC 2014.




Though I did have to pre-draft the Shetland wool, I found that if I spun this from the center pool and did not pre-draft, I got better results.  I had planned to leave a single yarn. Then I thought about trying an art yarn. I plied it with Plymouth Yarn Carry On 100% Polyester white and gold. I added 6/0 round japanese seed beads.



Though I could have used more beads and need practice plying with different materials, I am happy with the finished yarn, 118 yds.

Finally, I spun Winter Storm, Merino/bamboo/Mulberry Silk, from AJ's Handmade Creations on Etsy. Wow, this was a joy to spin. Like the fiber above, I got better results if I did not pre-draft. I took thin strips of the fiber to spin.



I have not decided if I want ply this alone, ply with Carry On & beads, or ply with another yarn, with or without beads. I have not spun anything else. I have the jumbo flyer on (I needed it for art yarn). I want to decide what to do with this and ply it before I take the jumbo flyer off. 

I spun Saturday to Tuesday (snow storm closed Schools so I was off) and felt better but wiped on Sunday. Spinning helped deal with the pain on Saturday. The art of spinning is a Zen experience for me. Once I'm set up and started, I feel one with the wheel and fiber. Everything around me fades. I am still amazed that I will begin spinning and then look at the clock to see hours and hours have passed without my notice. This onenest with spinning helped deal with the pain I felt Saturday. 

These yarns are the 3rd, 4th and 5th skeins of yarn I have spun. :)

Peace
Nancy D










1 comment: